Yamagata Normal School, a predecessor of the current Faculty of Education,
Art and Science of Yamagata University, began offering a room for collectiing,
preserving and exhibiting local museum materials in the 1930s.
In 1952, following the passing of the Museum Act, this room was designated as a
emuseum-equivalent institutionf by the Ministry of Education and launched as the
Yamagata University Local Museum. In 1978, the museum was renamed the
Museum of Yamagata University due to its expanding collecction.
Copyright 1999-2010. The Museum of Yamagata University, All rights reserved.